Hello KCM friends! We’ve been a little inconsistent with our Monday posts, but the folks at Curious Chef sent us some amazing products that completely inspired us to get back in the kitchen! Brady was SO excited to get his Fruit and Veggie Prep Kit and made it very clear to all of us that they were all his…(much to the dismay of his little brother.) We decided to make a fun rice dish using our tools that incorporated lots of colorful veggies.
Here are the ingredients we used to make Rainbow Rice:
2 Cups Brown Rice
2 Cups Water (or Vegetable Broth) to cook rice
1 Red pepper
1 Yellow Squash
1 Cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
1 Purple Onion
1 Clove of Garlic
2 Tbs. Butter
1 Tbs. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
Here is how Brady and I cooked up our rainbow rice:
- First, Brady used his new vegetable scrubber to clean the pepper and the squash.
- Next, we began chopping up our vegetables with Brady’s new super safe knife he got from Curious Chef. It was the perfect size for his little hands, but gave him all the power of cutting up the produce. He was so proud that he could do it himself!
- While we were chopping our produce, the rice was boiling away on the stove. (Just follow package directions) You can cook the rice in Vegetable broth if you want it to have a little more flavor.
- Once we were finished chopping, we began cooking our vegetables in Olive Oil. We started with the onion and garlic, then added the peppers and squash and sprinkled a little salt and pepper on everything.
- When the vegetables became tender, we added the frozen peas and carrots.
- Then, we added the cooked rice into our pot.
- We seasoned the whole pot with the Sesame Oil, butter and Soy Sauce.
- We gave everything a final stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes so all of the flavors could blend together.
Not only was this dish fun and easy to prepare, it turned out beautiful and my sweet, veggie loving oldest boy, LOVED it!
We’re so excited to get back in the kitchen and use the rest of our new tools!