Happy New Year! And yay for getting back to our weekly Kids Cook Monday adventures. Today we got in the kitchen and whipped up an easy, healthy, sweet snack.
We used up a super ripe banana and combined it with some wholesome oats and fresh strawberries. This is a perfect sweet tooth fix or quick breakfast idea. Here’s how me and Brady got cookin…
We gathered our ingredients-
2 Cups Old fashioned oats
1 Cup chopped strawberries
1 ripe banana (mashed)
1/3 Cup of Milk
1 Tbs. Oil (vegetable, canola or coconut could work)
2 Tbs. Maple Syrup
1/8 tsp. salt (to balance the sweetness)
Then we followed these steps-
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Wash and chop up about a cup of strawberries. (you could use frozen!)
- Mash up one big ripe banana (this gives the bars lots of sweetness) This is a perfect job for a little helper.
- In a mixing bowl combine mashed banana, oats, syrup, oil, milk, and salt. Mix it up until it’s all nice and moist and then add in the strawberries.
- Spread oatmeal mixture into a greased pan.
- Bake at 300* for about 20-25 minutes. (Until golden brown and not too wet/squishy when you cut into it.)
These are slightly sweet with bites of tart strawberries. If you like your treats a little sweeter, try using a banana that’s even more brown or adding a little more maple syrup (you could even substitute honey!) Make sure to store these in the fridge since it does contain fresh fruit.
Hope these healthy treats make your 2016 a little tastier!